Today's lesson is all about vocabulary you can use when describing a city.
今天的课程是关于你在描述一个城市时可以用到的词汇。
Let's talk about some adjectives you could use to describe the city as a whole or a particular area.
让我们来讨论一些可以用来描述整个城市或特定地区的形容词。
You could use the word "historic" to describe something that's old, with a lot of history, for example, a church or a castle or an old street.
你可以用 historic 这个词来描述历史悠久的东西,比如教堂、城堡或老街。
And if that building or street is in its original condition and has not been changed too much in recent years, you could call it "unspoiled".
如果那座建筑或街道保持着原来的状态,并且近年来没有发生太大的变化,你可以称之为 unspoiled。
To spoil something means to ruin it.
Spoil 的意思是破坏。
So, you could say "the castle remains unspoiled by the current tenants", which would mean that the people currently using or living in the castle have tried to hold on to that building's history and not modernize it too much.
所以,你可以说 the castle remains unspoiled by the current tenants,意思是现在使用或居住在城堡里的人试图保留这座建筑的历史,而不是让它太现代化。
On the other hand, you could use the word "modern" to describe something that is recent or new.
另一方面,你可以用 modern 这个词来描述最近或新的东西。
The word "modern" does not tell us how new something is, so that usually depends on the context.
Modern 这个词并没有告诉我们某物有多新,所以这通常取决于上下文。
Now, let us think about somewhere in the countryside.
现在,让我们想想农村的某个地方。
You could use the adjective "rural" to explain that you are talking about the countryside rather than the city.
你可以用形容词 rural 来解释你在谈论乡村而不是城市。
You could say "a rural village in the East of England".
你可以说“英格兰东部的一个乡村”。
You could describe a small village like that as "peaceful" if it is quiet and relaxing.
如果一个小村庄是安静和令人放松的,你可以把它描述为描述为 peaceful。
"Slow" referring to the pace of life as typically being slower than in a big city.
Slow 指的是生活节奏通常比大城市慢。
Or even "sleepy" which usually means a town without much activity.
或者甚至是 sleepy,通常指一个没有多少活动的城镇。
So, there're not many people or much to do.
那里没有多少人或多少事可以做。
And you could describe a village as "friendly" if the locals are particularly welcoming.
如果当地人特别欢迎你,你可以用 friendly 来形容一个村庄。
Moving into the big city, you could use words like "bustling" or "lively" to dis drive a busy place.
说到大城市,你可以用 bustling 或 lively 这样的词来表示繁忙的地方。
Now, these words have quite a positive tone to them.
这些词的语气很褒义。
If you use "bustling" or "lively", you're probably not complaining about the number of people.
如果你用了 bustling 或 lively,你可能不是在抱怨人太多
It's more likely that you find it exciting.
更有可能是你会觉得那里令人兴奋。
To describe a town as busy in a negative tone, you could use the word "crowded".
用贬义的语气描述一个城镇是繁忙的,你可以用 crowded 这个词。
It could be "dirty" or "polluted"... meaning the air and the surroundings aren't very clean.
也可以是 dirty 或 polluted,意思是周围的环境不太干净。
Certain areas might be more "dangerous" than others.
某些区域可能比其他区域更“危险”。
So, that might be something you'd want to convey to somebody.
这可能是你想传达给某人的东西。
Aside from these words, you can use all of the usual descriptive language to describe the size of a place: a "big" city, a "small" town, or what it looks like, or the feeling that it gives you.
除了这些词,你可以用所有常用的描述词来描述一个地方的大小:一个“大”城市,一个“小”城镇,或者它的样子,或者它给你的感觉。
Now, I'm going to read an extract from a travel agents brochure about London.
现在,我要读一本旅行社介绍伦敦的小册子中的摘录。
I would like you to listen carefully and see if you can understand it all, here goes.
我想让你仔细听,看看你能不能听懂。
"London is one of the world's most historic cities.
“伦敦是世界上最具历史意义的城市之一。
It is the home to countless landmarks including Big Ben, the London Eye, and Buckingham Palace to keep you busy throughout the day.
这里有无数的地标,包括大本钟、伦敦眼和白金汉宫,够你忙一天。
But what about when night falls?
但是当夜幕降临的时候呢?
If you're looking for somewhere to drink and dance, Shoreditch is famous for its lively nightlife and range of clubs, pubs, and bars for you to enjoy.
如果你正在寻找喝酒跳舞的地方,肖尔迪奇以其热闹的夜生活和各种俱乐部、酒吧而闻名。
Alternatively, you could take a night tour of some of London's haunting history.
或者,你可以夜游伦敦一些令人难忘的历史建筑。
Follow in the footsteps of royalty at the famous Tower of London and see for yourself some of London's oldest monuments unspoiled by the modern age." Did you understand all those words?
跟随皇室的脚步,参观著名的伦敦塔,亲眼目睹伦敦最古老的未被现代破坏的遗迹。”你都听懂了吗?
Okay, your homework today is to write your own travel agent brochure for your hometown or city.
好了,你们今天的作业是为你们的家乡或城市写一份自己的旅行社宣传册。
Describe it using the adjectives we've learnt today or some that you already know.
用我们今天学过的形容词或你已经知道的形容词来描述它。
And tell me the best things about where you live or where you grew up.
告诉我你居住的地方或你长大的地方的最棒的事情。
Good luck. I look forward to reading them.
祝好运。我很期待阅读它们。
Oh, and don't forget to click that subscribe button and the bell notification.
噢,别忘了点击订阅按钮和通知铃铛哟。
I release new videos every Monday and Friday.
我每周一和周五更新新视频。
So, I'll see you then. Bye.
到时见,拜。