您的位置 首页 > 数码极客

【jianling】《爱我长城》人物威廉演讲—长城环境问题是中国环境问题的晴雨表

还记得国庆前威廉坐客"一席"讲堂吗?他的演讲题目是: Over the Great Wall & Far Away (换个视角看长城:空中及远方)威廉.林赛,英籍长城研究学者,"大英帝国勋章"获得者。毕业于英国利物浦大学地球科学学院,探索、研究、保护长城32年。林赛先生认为,万里长城不仅仅是一座古建筑,她与今天中国人的生活息息相关。在他近来长城体验中,他感觉应当让人们了解长城面临的危险和机遇。

在演讲中,林赛先生将带领听众,走上他的长城探索发现之旅。有时他孑然一身、有时与朋友共赴;他不仅探索中国境内的长城,也前往长城在中国境外的部分,他还在欧洲和北美寻找长城的故事;他不仅在地面探索,还具有鸟瞰长城的视角。

保护长城终究要回到地面,落到实处。万里长城曾经是保卫中国的军事防御工事,今天也将再次守护着中国......

等待这么久,演讲实录和翻译原稿来了,已飨各位!

My Great Wall story goes back half century

我的长城故事可以追溯到半个世纪前

as this grey or this white hair signifies

看我的头发就知道了

As you know I'm from England.

我来自英国

Tonight I'm going to select a few episodes of my own Great Wall life story

今天想跟大家分享几个我在中国经历的

that I've enjoyed here in China.

我和长城的故事

I'm not telling you these stories to blow my own trumpets.

讲这些并不是想吹嘘我自己

They are stories of success.

这些确实都是有关成功的故事

But the main reason I want you to know these stories is

但是我想要分享这些最主要的原因是

they are my credentials for issuing a plea,

它们是我向诸位提出一个请求的依据

which is very important not only for the Great Wall of China,

这个计划不仅对长城十分重要

but for the whole country.

对整个中国也十分重要

Before we set off, many of the photographs,

开讲之前 你们已经看了很多照片

some of the film you've already seen.

还有一些影片

It's not taken by me.

这些都不是我拍的

It's taken by my family members,

是我的家人拍的

and you can see them, with me on Badaling Great Wall.

这是我们一家在八达岭长城上的合影

On the sides there are two sons.

边上的两个是我的儿子

Jimmy, who studied history here in Beijing.

Jimmy 在北京学习历史

And Tommy, who is also right now studying or should be studying in Peking University.

Tommy现在正在北大上学

And of course, behind every great man as we heard earlier.

我们老早就听说过

There is a great woman

每一个伟大的男人背后都有一个伟大的女人

and there she is my true love.

这位就是我的真爱

And soulmate. Wu Qi.

以及灵魂伴侣,她叫吴琪

Okay, so, I come from a town called Wallasey,

我来自一个叫作沃勒西(英格兰西北部)的小镇

it begins with the word "wall".

它的名字里有「墙」这个字

And when I was a little boy, I loved geography.

当我还是个小男孩的时候 我很喜欢地理

My first teacher told us we should have an atlas by our bed sides

我的第一位老师告诉我每个人的床边都应该放一本地图册

and it was in the atlas of China, I saw the Great Wall for the first time

我在51年前的1967年在中国地图上第一次看到了长城

in 1967, that's 51 years ago

As I grew up, I often thought of the Great Wall.

在我成长的过程中 我经常想到长城

I wanted to make a journey along it from one end to the other,

我想要进行一场穿越长城的旅行

But of course, progressing through my teenager years and university,

things distracted me

当然在我的青少年和大学时期

很多东西分散了我的注意力

Egypt, animals, geology, girls,

埃及 动物 地理 女孩们

but then in 1984, I was back on track,

但是1984年 我又回到了正轨

and luckily I was keen on running.

幸运的是我还热衷于跑步

I think everyone who is successful on the Great Wall of China

我认为每个想要在长城上取得成功的人

must have good health and athleticism. Luckily I did.

都必须拥有健康的身体和较强的运动能力,我很幸运地两者都有。

and here we see me in 1984 at the Baili Changcheng

这是1984年的时候 我在"百里长城"(哈德良长城)

a hundred li long wall in the north of England.

英格兰北部绵延一百多里的长城

And it's there then the Great Wall came back into my mind, back on my radar.

就是在那里我又想起了中国的长城

I arrived in this country in 1986 with the very naive ambition

1986年 我带着这个天真的野心来到了中国

of going to one end of the wall on following it for several months to the other end,

希望能够用几个月时间从长城的一端走到另一端

I didn't bring any help, but I found help.

我没有带任何帮助来 但是我找到了帮助

Can you spot me?

能认出我吗

This is one family of Qingshui, somewhere in Gansu.

这是甘肃清水的一家人

My journey wasn't just a scenic footslog.

我的旅行并不仅仅是长途跋涉欣赏风景

It wasn't just welcomes from the farmers,

以及来自农民的欢迎

it was hostility from the authorities.

还有来自政府的敌意

Maybe you don't know.

也许你们都不知道

40 years ago, in 1978, the reforms of China began.

1978年 40年前 中国开始改革

And in the 1980s, the opening up of China was very cautious and tentative,

而20世纪80年代 中国的改革开放处于谨慎的实验性的阶段

and most of China was closed to foreigners.

大部分地区不对外国人开放

So my journey on the Great Wall was an illegal journey.

所以我在长城上的旅行是一次非法的旅行

This is the book in which I told my story and it's a good place

这是我的书

to summarize my 1986,1987experiences.

里面记录了我1986 1987年的经历

1986 was my China apprenticeship

1986年是我在中国的学徒期

failing, learning, failing, learning.

经常失败,但是取得了经验

1987 was my successful year,

1987年我成功了

2470 kilometers by myself on force following the ruins of the Great Wall.

沿着长城我走完了2470公里

I stayed with farmers like the ones, the 60 evenings,

和农民们一起度过了60多个夜晚

I was stopped by the police nine times.

被警察抓住过9次

How could I get away?

我是怎么逃走的呢?

Well, I remember by then. maybe you don't,

我还记得在那个年代

there was no modern technology.

没有什么现代科技

Everything was on paper.

一切都是纸稿

It was easy for me to fool the authorities.

我要糊弄一些官员就很容易

I must admit, it was very exciting being a fugitive for once in my life.

我必须承认,人生中有这样一次逃亡经历是一件很让人兴奋的事情

What else happened of significance?

还有值得一提的就是

I made three marriage proposals to the same girl

我跟同一个女孩求了三次婚

and she helped me translate what farmers had written in my diaries.

她帮我翻译农民在我日记里写的内容

And we became TV stars in Britain

然后我们俩在英国成了明星

That's me in 1988 in London on the most popular TV chat show in Great Britain.

这是1988年 我在伦敦参加的一档非常受欢迎的电视访谈节目

Ok. What you'll notice about our journey is it's a very natural one.

我们的旅程是一个非常自然的过程

It begins with an atlas seeing a map, seeing the wall,

由一本地图册开始 看到中国的地图 看到长城

and it continued realizing that our future was in China.

然后我们意识到我们的未来会是在中国

After Wu Qi and I got married, we came back to China

所以和妻子结婚之后 我们就一起回到中国

and I worked for the Chinese governments as a teacher,

我在中国的一个学校当老师

as an editor at China Daily, and that's a state news agency.

后来是《中国日报》的编辑

And I used all my spare time, weekends, holidays, going to the wall.

周末 假期 在所有的空闲时间 我都会去长城

Now if you go to wall, what do you do?

现在如果去长城的话,你们都怎么去?

You drive your car,

都是开车去

but back in the 1990s, no privately-owned cars.

但是在九十年代 没有私家车

If you took a bus you need to change four times

如果坐公车 要倒四趟车

So I thought the best way to get to YanQing and Huairou, Miyun and so on

所以我觉得最好的到延庆 怀柔 密云这些地方去的方法

was on my bike.

就是骑车去

And I had some wonderful trips.

我有一些很棒的骑行经历

This was the Great Wall, the golden season for me.

这是我的长城黄金时代

No longer did I have to look behind to see if the police were about to pounce on me.

我不用再担心是否会遇到警察

I could really say that, these wonderful landscapes,

我可以真正的享受长城美妙的风景

most of which are just a couple of hours to the north of Beijing.

它们大多都在北京以北 骑行几小时而已

Although that is in NingXia(07:16).

不过这张照片是在宁夏

Okay, well, these years in the 1990s were very important for me

二十世纪九十年代的这几年对我来说十分重要

because I had a vision of the Great Wall.

因为我对长城有了一个清楚的认识

That it wasn't just a building.

我意识到,它不仅仅是一个建筑

It was a building and a beautiful landscape.

它同时也是美丽的景观

Also I discovered that of course, most of the wall was not a tourist wall

而且大多数长城不是旅游景点

Badaling, Mutianyu, Shanhaiguan and Jiayuguan.

八达岭 慕田峪 山海关 嘉峪关

Most of that was, well,wild.

绝大数的长城是在野外的,没有被精心修缮的城墙。

It's at this time when I was working at China Daily,

也正是在此时,当我在《中国日报》工作的时候

one of my colleagues said to me,

我的一个同事对我说

William, you are so boring going to the Great Wall every weekend.

威廉太无聊了 每个周末都去长城

We Beijingers, we only go there when we have to.

我们北京人都是能不去就不去

And I said, well, the Great Wall I go to see is really nice.

然后我说 我去看的长城都特别美

I'll show you some photos, so I took in about 36 prints.

给你们看照片

My colleagues gathered around and they said,

同事们就聚在一起 然后说

oh, it's so broken down, bushes on it,

这些长城都垮了 上面还有好多杂草

It needs fixing.

它需要修缮了

And I said, yeah, this is a wilderness wall, WildWall.

我说是的 这些都是在野外的城墙

And the term was created like that within a few years,

最近几年出现了一个专门的词形容这些城墙

I began to hear a Chinese equivalent, Ye Changcheng,

中文对应的词 叫作"野长城"

Okay, around about1991, this lady wrote me a very important letter,

在1991年的时候 有位女士给我写了一封很重要的信

which I think put the importance of all photographs high up

这封信将这些长城的照片

on the cultural relics protection agenda in China

提上了中国文物保护的日程

Who is this lady?

这位给我写信的女士是谁

Marjory, she wrote me this letter

她叫玛乔丽

she heard me on the radio talking about my book.

她在电台节目里听到我和我的书

And she said, I have a book called The Great Wall of China

她说她那儿有一本叫作The Great Wall of China的书

written by an American published in 1909.

一个美国人写的 发表于1909年

It contains many impressive photographs, and I'd like to send it to you.

书里有很多令人印象深刻的照片 我想把它们发给你

She sent it to me, I unwrapped it

她把书寄给我了 我打开一看

and my heart sank,

我的心沉下去了

I always thought I was William the first, William the conqueror,

我一直以为我是第一个 我是征服者威廉

but actually I was William the second.

但其实我是第二个

That's William Geil's book written 80 years before my book,

威廉·盖洛的书比我早了八十年

it is actually the first book in any language written about the Great Wall of China.

它是关于中国长城的第一本书

And I believe this is a gift to China? Why?

我认为这是给中国的一个礼物

Because in that book, I discovered a photograph.

因为在这本书里 我发现了一张照片

That was amazing.

特别令人震撼

A picture of William Geil standing on the Great Wall of China in 1908

1908年威廉·盖洛在中国的长城上的照片,还是个黑白照片。

And in my own book, a picture of me walking on the wall in color in 1987

在我的书里 1987年 我在长城上行走的彩色照片

But of course, the tower behind me disappeared, why?

我身后的敌楼消失了

This story I think is best called the wall of two Williams

这个故事应该叫两个威廉的长城

so William Geil and I, we set off on a joint journey

威廉·盖洛和我进行了一趟联合之旅

a journey in the present and the past to see what the wall looked like.

在这趟旅程里看见现在和过去的长城是怎样的

And we weren't just doing this for curiosity.

我们不仅仅是出于好奇而去做这件事情

We were doing this to deliver a message to Chinese people.

我们是想要像中国人传递一些信息

And there's no more heart wrenching example

没有比河北的插箭岭(长城烽火台的消失)

as the Picturesque Pass near Chajianling in Hebei province,

更让人揪心的例子了(这个地方翻译成"壮丽长城")

you can see it for yourself.

你们可以自己看看

It doesn't need to be any words spoken.

不需要说太多的语言解释

Okay, well, that was a marvelous journey.

但是那是一段奇妙的旅程

But what always bugged me was

有一件事情我一直想不通

why wasn't William Geil the first explorer of the Great Wall,

威廉·盖洛作为第一个探索长城的外国人

the first author of a book about the Great Wall,

第一本关于长城的书的作者

why wasn't he famous in his home country, over the United States,

为什么他在美国不出名

The Great Wall Community in Beijing along the Great Wall knew him.

在北京长城圈的人都知道他

But in America, in Doyleston his hometown,

但是在美国 在他家乡的多埃斯顿

I ask people on the streets,

我问街上的行人

Do you know William Geil?

你认识威廉·盖洛吗

Who?

他们都不知道

but if you were approaching this house in the United States,

但是当你看到他在美国的住处的时候

you probably wouldn't look at the green grass, all the beautiful windows,

你可能不会关注到草坪还有漂亮的窗户

you'd be attracted by those Chinese characters embedded in the side of the house.

然而你会被镶嵌在房子外部的汉字吸引

And you would think, I've seen that "Tian Xia Xiong Guan" in Jiayuguan.

你会觉得 我在嘉峪关看到过这个"天下雄关"

I've seen that in Shanhaiguan.

或者是在山海关看到过

This is the house in which the first Great Wall explorer lived,

这就是第一位长城探险者威廉的居所

and they are his grandsons.

这是他的孙子们

This is the book I published,

我自己的发表的书

and I took that book, the book gifted to me by Marjory

还有玛乔丽送我的书

to Doyleston William Geil's birthplace.

我都把它们带来这个威廉·盖洛出生的小镇了

And I laid it on the grave and I said,

我把它们放在他的墓前说

Dear William, thank you for being my teacher.

亲爱的威廉 感谢你成为我的老师

Thank you for presenting a gift to China.

谢谢你送给中国的礼物

Thank you.

谢谢

The next episode of my story, I think,

下一个故事

is an example of thinking out of the box.

我觉得是一个打破框架思维的例子

And again it begins with an atlas.

这个故事也是由一本地图册开始的

the Genghis Khan atlas

这本成吉思汗地图集

And it precipitated me and my two sons and also my wife Wu Qi to make several journeys

它促使我和我的家人们开始了几段旅程

that began at Beijing Airport,

它们北京机场出发

I remember getting out of a taxi.

我记得当我从出租车里出来的时候

And someone rushed over me and said,

一个人冲过来对我说

oh, you are William, you are William

你是威廉 你是威廉

I've seen you on television picking up garbage on the Great Wall of China.

我在电视上看到你在长城上捡垃圾

Can we take a photo?

能跟你合影吗

And we took a photo.

于是我们合影了

And then he said, where are you going?

他问我要去哪里

I said I'm going to the Great Wall in Mongolia.

我说要去蒙古国找长城

He said what?

他一头雾水

so in the atlas of Genghis Khan I noticed this map

在成吉思汗地图集里我注意到这幅地图

and you can see north of the border was the curly bit???,

大家可以看到长城北部的边境是这道微微弯曲的线条,

and south of the boarder was the scribers.

南部的边境则由画线器勾勒了出来

It seems these walls wouldn't meet up. (14:10)

乍一看,城墙在地图上似乎并没有交汇之处。

But the only way of really understanding what is going on here

想要真正了解那里发生过什么的方法

is to go there and find it out.

就是亲自去那里一趟 找出答案

Google maps and written history is all well and good,

谷歌地图和一些史料记载都挺好的

the field work is very important.

但是田野调查也十分重要

But the field work is very dangerous on the Great Wall.

在长城上进行实地考察十分的危险

The Great Wall of the Ming Dynasty for example, is in the mountains,

比如明长城就是在山野之中,

you know how many people get injured in the mountains every year.

因此每年都有很多人在山里受伤

I think the most dangerous environment of any Great Wall is Gobi Desert.

我认为所有长城中最危险的环境是戈壁滩

I have suffered in the Gobi before.

我曾经就在戈壁中遭遇过险境

So on this expedition, I was very careful,

所以在这次探险中 我十分小心

plenty of water, plenty of money, a lot of gasoline

准备了充足的水 充足的钱 充足的汽油

to go into the widest part of the Gobi Desert.

为了去到戈壁滩最宽阔的边缘地带

to look for the so called wall of Genghis Khan,

去寻找所谓的成吉思汗长城

and we found it,

我们找到了

and well not that impressive,

这城墙没有十分令人印象深刻

But you know, that wall is made of earth and wood

但是这个城墙是用土和木头做成的

because it was made of wood

因为它是用木头做的

I was able to date it precisely Radiocarbon fourteen dating.

我就能够根据碳同位素14来推测它的年份

And I actually proved that that wall was dating from the Xixia Dynasty.

事实证明这座墙的历史可以追溯到西夏王朝

It was not widely believed that during the Xixia a long wall was constructed,

很多人都不相信 在西夏时期人们能有能力建造这么长的城墙

but my field work helped to add credence to that theory.

但是我的田野调查为这一理论增添了有力凭证

Good, so a wonderful trip on the Gobi and on the steppe,

这是一趟经过了戈壁和草原的精彩旅程

the story attracted wide attention around the world,

同时也吸引了世界范围内的很多关注

in the National Geographic Magazine,

在美国《国家地理杂志》

it was the most widely read story that week

这是当周阅读量最高的文章

And that shows you the fascination that the whole world odes for the Great Wall of China.

全世界都在赞颂中国的长城

This is really to acquaint you with the geography.

不得不让你们再次面对地理

Uh, we have a map of Mongolia there

这是一张蒙古地图

and the wall of Genghis Khan is drawn in several places on this map.

成吉思汗城墙分布在这张地图上的好几个地方

So to understand these walls needed more than one expedition,

所以要了解这些城墙需要不止一次考察

it needed another.

还需要再去一次

I led a very interesting expedition to the great eastern steppe.

我去辽阔的东部草原进行了一次探险

beautiful landscape,

美丽的风景

but it's very, very flat.

但是特别平坦

And there I am, you can all see I am standing on the wall.

这是我站在长城上的照片

Not very impressive uh?

很不起眼是吧

Is it the Great Wall?

这是长城吗

Does it deserve the adjective "great"?

它配得上"伟大"这个形容词吗

It's a very faint line.

它就只是一条模糊的线

if you go when there's no sun lights,

如果在没有阳光的时候去那儿

you wouldn't even notice. Is anything there?

你会以为这里根本什么都没有

we followed it, we measured it.

我们走完了它 测量了它

And I thought I must come back here with better equipment

我认为我必须带着更好的设备回到这里

to trying prove or disprove a theory.

去证明或者去反驳一个理论

And the theory was a clue in a secret history of the Mongols.

它是一个关于蒙古秘史的线索

And in the secret history, Genghis Khan's successor, Ogedei khan

据文献记载 成吉思汗的继任者窝阔台曾说

窝阔台said I had a wall built with wooden stakes upon it,

我建造这座带有木桩的城墙

to stop the gazelle migrating of the land.

是为了阻止羚羊的迁徙

So I went back here to try capture evidence of this wall

所以我回到这里试图寻找证据

working not as a military defense,

证明这些墙不是用作军事防御

but as a resource defense, keeping the gazelle, the meats

而是为了资源保护

of the heartland of the Khan's.

把羚羊留在大汗的土地上

This is a photograph that really presents the evidence.

这张照片就是证据

You can see a faint line of the wall.

你可以看到城墙模糊的线条

You can see the tire tracks.

可以看到车轮的痕迹

And you can see gazelle.

可以看到羚羊

We actually captured it with a drone,

这是我们用无人机航拍拍到的

herds of several thousand swimming across this landscape,

一群羚羊正在游过这片土地

thankfully we came around of it, all happy, healthy and alive.

它们看起来都很健康快乐 充满活力

thanks to my Mongolian friends here.

感谢我的蒙古朋友们

and a new term was created.

我们创造了一个新词儿

What is this wall?

这个城墙应该叫什么名字

Is it wall of Genghis Khan?

叫"成吉思汗长城"吗

Everyone knows Genghis Khan was not a stay-at-home wall builder.

大家都知道成吉思汗没有一直待在家里建设这些城墙

He was outgoing and conquerring.

他一直在南征北战

So I came up with this term Great Wall outside China.

所以我把这个城墙叫作中国境外的长城

This led to yet another journey.

这也促成我的另一次旅程

As I was making more trips to Mongolia,

我去蒙古的次数越来越多

it dawned on me.

然后我才恍然大悟

How can you just study the Great Wall alongside?

我为什么要一直待在长城研究长城呢

For twenty years, I have stayed in China

二十年来 我一直都在中国

looking more at the Great Wall

寻找更多的长城

thinking the people on the other side of, the enemy, the buddies.

幻想长城另一边的人们 不管是敌人或是朋友

I never thought I should go there and understand their lives.

我从没想过我应该去那里了解他们的生活

I should have experienced hardship of that climate.

我应该去经历他们的苦难 他们的气候

I should see the remoteness of their landscapes.

去看他们所在地方的的风景有多遥远

And I should look for things to tell missing parts of the Great Wall story.

去找寻一些能够讲述长城故事缺失的部分的事物

I'd also seen interesting things in London, in America,

我在伦敦 在美国

in the Vatican, and in Paris.

在梵蒂冈 在巴黎都见到过很多有趣的东西

So I thought, why don't I step back from the ruins of the Great Wall?

所以我想 我为什么不离开长城的废墟

And concentrate for two years studying fifty objects

用两年的时间专注跟长城有关的50件文物?

that will tell me very specific episodes of the Great Wall story.

通过它们来了解长城故事的一些特殊篇章

And so another wonderful journey began.

所以又一次愉快的旅程开始了

It was called the Great Wall in fifty objects.

我把它叫作与长城有关的50件文物

And as always, it's not just William.

和之前一样 这也不是我独自完成的

Here you can see Professor Wang Xuenong,

这是王雪农教授

a curator of the Shanhaiguan Great Wall Museum.

山海关长城博物馆的原馆长

And we are in my study, which is my little Great Wall in Beijing

这是我们在我的书房中,我在北京的小小"长城"

with maps, photographs, paintings.

有地图 有照片 有绘画

We're trying to decide what objects we will include in our story.

我们会决定将哪些文物放在这项研究里

There will be many maps.

会有很多的地图

I tell you why there will be many maps, because I'm a geographer

为什么会有很多地图 因为我是个地理学家

and also maps are way the first Europeans learned about the magnificent structure,

欧洲人最初也是通过地图

the Great Wall of China.

才了解到中国的长城这个伟大的建筑

This is the world's first modern world atlas.

这是世界上第一份世界地图

It dates from 1584.

可以追溯到1584年

It was the master work of Abraham Ortelius working in Antwerp.

这是在安特卫普工作的亚伯拉罕·奥特柳斯的杰作

And that's the China map which you would have to look at sideways.

这是侧过来的中国地图

Yeah, but can you see the China shape that way?

能够看出中国的形状吗

We can zoom in on the wall.

我们把它放大到城墙

You can see the brick red structure curving through the mountains.

可以看到红色的方块沿着山脉弯曲

And it's a sentence in Latin,

这其实是一个拉丁语的句子

telling Europeans, the wealthiest Europeans.

告诉那些富裕的欧洲人

That there is a wall so long in China, it was legendary.

中国有一个很长的很传奇的墙

Well, many other objects were waiting

在中国 蒙古和世界各地

in China and Mongolia around the world

还有很多其他的文物

for me to analyze them.

在等我去分析它们

Uh, some things were found right beside the wall.

有一些东西在长城边上被找到

Do you know what these are? In Chinese?

你们知道这些东西是什么吗

Rock bombs, landmines,

石炮 地雷

Shipao, Dilei

中文叫石炮 地雷

yeah, this is a conflict.

是的 这很矛盾

Yeah, beautiful Great Wall.

长城确实是美丽的,

But don't forget this was a war zone.

但是别忘了这也是战争地带

What were the weapons?

什么是武器

Weapons' makers can give us insights.

武器制造者可以告诉我们

This is Yang Fuxi just 40 kilometers away,

这是杨福喜

down beyond Yanjiao, outside Beijing.

住在燕郊 离北京四十公里

He is one of China's last remaining bow makers.

他是中国现存的会做弓箭的人之一

And he also makes crossbow

他还会做弩

the crossbow was such a decisive weapon in the conflicts in ancient Chinese history.

在中国古代的战争里 弩是决定性武器

And then on the far side of the wall, of course, the nomadic people,

在长城以外 是北方的游牧民族

whether they were the Xiongnv, the Xianbei or the Mongols or the Manchus,

不管是匈奴 鲜卑 还是蒙古 满族

they had something that always caused trouble for the Han people.

他们都有超强的合作精神和射箭技能,

Superb bossmanship skills and superb archery skills.

总是会给汉人制造麻烦

This is Mr. 巴蒙克,

这是巴蒙克先生

the last remaining bow maker,

也是蒙古最后的会做弓箭的匠人

a nomadic composite bow maker in Mongolia,

他做的是游牧用的弓

on the grassland giving us a demonstration

在草原上给我们展示他做的弓箭

and it's these bow man on horseback that forced the Chinese to build that great walls.

正是这些马背上的弓箭手迫使中国人修建长城的

Uh, this is evidence of the world's first cavalry coming out of central Asia.

这是世界上第一支骑兵起源于中亚的证据

On the back of a bronze mirror,

在这个青铜镜的背面,

we see two warriors in conflict,

我们能看到两个正在打斗的战士

one holding a bow and arrow and one holding a shield.

一个拿着弓和箭 一个拿着盾牌

Well, the great search for the Great Wall of object took me all over the world,

关于长城文物的搜寻把我带去了世界各地

including the British Library.

包括大英图书馆

And we come to a very famous episode not only in the Great Wall's history,

接下来的故事不仅仅与长城有关

but also in sino-western relations.

还与中国与西方世界的关系有关

1793, Lord Macartney from Great Britain comes to China

1793年 英国的马嘎尔尼伯爵来到中国

looking for the Qianlong emperor who really has a great empire.

来拜访乾隆

And the British saying,

来这的英国人说

we want to do trade with you.

我们想要和你们做生意

And the Brits didn't come for sightseeing.

他们并不是来观光的

They didn't come for the Great Wall.

也不是来看长城的

But because Qianlong was on his summer vacation in Chengde

但是因为乾隆正在承德避暑

they travelled north.

他们就前往承德

And in doing so, they passed through Gubeikou,

路上他们来到了古北口

and they had an artist and he drew what he saw,

随行的画家把所见都画下来了

this magnificent sketch, very accurate.

这幅壮丽的素描 非常的生动

It became the basis of a print that was circulated all across Europe and North America.

这幅画成了风靡欧美的长城印刷品的模板

It became the standard image of the Great Wall

在照相机发明以前

before the invention of photography.

它是长城最标准的形象

But more significantly,

更重要的是

the artist William Parish, he drew the wall.

画长城的画家威廉·帕里什

He wasn't overuled by the immensity of the wall.

他没有为长城的壮观和庞大而畏缩

And they said it contained more buildings than all of Great Britain's buildings,

毕竟大家都说长城的建筑比大英帝国所有的加起来都要多

No, William Parrish focused on the detail.

并没有 威廉·帕里什关注的是细节

He measured what was in front of them with this tape measure.

他用卷尺丈量了城墙的长度

And he left as this great resource, the study.

然后留下了这些宝贵的研究资料

So that was the Great Wall and fifty objects.

这就是长城与50件文物

And we come around to 2016

现在到了2016年

It's thirty years William has been in China for the Great Wall.

这是我为了长城来中国第30个年头

It's time to celebrate and achieve the dream.

现在是庆祝和实现梦想的时候了

How many times had I been resting

每次我在休息的时候

I'm looking up at the clouds and I'm wondering what they saw.

我看着天上的云就会思考 它们能看到什么呢

Well, thank goodness for technology,

感谢现代科技

we can see the Great Wall from the air.

可以让我们俯瞰长城

It was a very enjoyable family journey.

这是一次非常愉悦的家庭旅行

That's Tommy standing up, he is 16,

站着这个是汤米 今年16岁

It's Jimmy, right there he's 21

这是杰米 21岁

we travelled for sixty days along the great walls of China,

我们沿着长城旅行了60天

photographing the wall from the air in as many locations as possible.

在尽可能多的位置从空中拍摄长城

We see the immense beauty of the wall in the mountains,

我们在不同地方都感受到了长城的壮美 在山上

at the Yellow Sea,

在黄海

crossing the Yellow River

在跨越黄河的途中

and also crossing the desert.

在穿越沙漠的途中

And finally we make it another journey to Mongolia

最后我们又去了一次蒙古

to see this wall that looks nothing in the bored light of day

去看那白天看起来不值一提的城墙

but looked out of this world,

that's sunset.

但在黄昏的时候,却异常美丽

Well, it was a very, very successful journey.

这是一次非常成功的旅行

The news of this journey, made it to BBC.

BBC转播了关于这次旅行的新闻

It was the most watched video on BBC news.

这成了BBC上观看人数最多的新闻

And it also showed the world that

这也向世界展示了

nowhere has anything quite like the Great Wall of China.

中国的长城是独一无二的。

And just last night a fifty minutes documentary was shown on CCTV

昨天晚上央视播放了一个五十分钟的纪录片(飞越长城)

Now unfortunately,

然而

I'm not here tonight to tell you about my great achievements of my medals.

今天我在这里不是要讲我的种种成就

I'm not here tonight to tell you how beautiful the Great Wall is.

也不是要讲长城有多美

What genius is the ancient Chinese were.

中国的古人们有多天才

I'm here tonight to deliver a message of paramount importance

我今天是想要传递一个十分重要的信息

not only to the condition of the Great Wall

这不仅关乎长城

but the environmental future of China.

也关乎中国环境问题的未来

You can see me there picking up garbage.

这是我正在长城上捡垃圾

That was last year

这是去年

that was my twentieth year picking up garbage on the Great Wall.

是我在长城上捡垃圾的第二十年

Last year, me, my students, my friends, my family,

去年我和我的学生 我的朋友还有我的家人

we filled 331 of those bags.

我们捡了331袋这样的垃圾

And as we filled the bags,

当我们把垃圾装满这些袋子的时候

we were shocked over the amount of garbage we could pick up in one kilometer of Great Wall.

我们都被一公里长城上的垃圾数量震惊了

And we discussed the problem.

我们讨论了这个问题

And we asked ourselves a very, very important question.

我们问了自己一个很重要的问题

If people damage the Great Wall spiritually like this,

如果人们继续这样损害长城

what hope does the ordinary land down there across China really have,

那中国其他的土地还有什么希望呢

I believe the condition of the Great Wall

我认为长城的情况

is actually an indication as to the environmental health of China.

实际上表明了中国当前的环境健康状况

It's a litmus test.

长城就是环境问题的一个气压计

It's a barometer reading.

是一个晴雨表

Unfortunately, the news is not good.

不幸的是 现在的情况不容乐观

Last year, my elder son, James,

去年 我最大的儿子詹姆斯

accompanied two South African ultra distance runners,

陪两位南非的长跑运动员

making a journey along a whole mount of the Great Wall.

去游览长城

I spoke to them almost every day.

我每天都和他们通话

And almost every day they said,

几乎每天他们都说

well, the amounts of trash on the wall is astounding.

长城上的垃圾数量真的十分惊人

If you have an army, they will take a month to pick it up.

如果你有一支军队 他们也得用一个月的时间捡完这些垃圾

It seems perhaps to be insignificant.

这些看起来也许不重要

But I think it is a very, very important question.

但是我觉得这是一个非常重要的问题

If we cannot solve the problem of garbage on the Great Wall,

如果我们不能解决长城上的垃圾问题

we cannot solve the wider, bigger environmental problems in China.

那我们就不能解决其他更大的问题

That's the message I came here to deliver to you.

这就是我今天想要告诉大家的

I hope all the tonight and everyone watching this broadcast

我希望所有在看这个演讲的人

will consider the implications of garbage on the Great Wall of China

都能够为了整个中国认真的思考

for the whole of China very very seriously.

解决长城垃圾问题的重要性

I've achieved most of the things I ever wanted to achieve on the Great Wall of China.

我在长城上实现了很多我想要做的事

I have one more goal left to get.

然而我还有一个目标没有实现

And that is to see the Great Wall in beautiful natural condition.

就是看到长城最自然美丽的样子

I dream of going to Huairou, Miyun, Laiyuan

我想要去怀柔 密云 涞源

and walking the three kilometers

想要走三公里

without having to pick up a single piece of garbage.

也不用捡一个垃圾

Is it a dream?

这只是梦吗

or will the nightmare continue?

还是噩梦会继续下去

It's up to you.

决定权在你

BuaiChangchengfeihaohan!

不爱长城非好汉!

责任编辑: 鲁达

1.内容基于多重复合算法人工智能语言模型创作,旨在以深度学习研究为目的传播信息知识,内容观点与本网站无关,反馈举报请
2.仅供读者参考,本网站未对该内容进行证实,对其原创性、真实性、完整性、及时性不作任何保证;
3.本站属于非营利性站点无毒无广告,请读者放心使用!

“jianling,剑灵,剑灵online正版手游官网,建陵”边界阅读